Dhamma Brothers - Documentary Screening East Coast Naturopathic Clinic invites you to attend a documentary screening during Naturopathic Medicine Week in Nova Scotia. About the Event East meets West in...
Daily Contest Wednesday May 15
Today’s Theme: Environmental Health
Read about today’s theme and then answer the question to enter the daily contest.
Did you know that there are things in the environment that you may be exposed to on a daily basis that could be affecting your health?
Did you know that you can take actions to reduce your exposure to these?
These can be synthetic or natural compounds and include things like PCBs, BPAs, PFCs, phthalates, parabens, pesticides and herbicides. Long term exposure to these compounds may affect hormonal health/fertility, increase incidence of metabolic syndrome, diabetes and obesity and may increase the incidence/risk of certain types of cancers.
Luckily, there are several ways we can reduce our exposure to these compounds and can include:
- Drinking spring or filtered water out of glass or stainless steel water bottles instead of plastic bottles.
- Using glass or stainless steel containers to store leftovers or packed lunches and avoiding storing or heating food in plastic containers.
- Choose natural/chemical-free household cleaners and personal grooming products
- Choose chlorine free unbleached paper products (including feminine hygiene items)
- When purchasing canned foods, opt for brands that offer BPA free lining
- Choose hormone free meat, dairy and poultry
- Eat organic when possible or follow the EWG’s clean 15 and dirty 12
Today’s Contest Question
Today’s Featured Doctor: Julia Dean ND
50 Gary Martin Dr – Suite 110
Dr. Julia Dean, ND began her career in health care as a registered nurse. Her background as a nurse and knowledge as a naturopathic doctor allows her to provide the best of both naturopathic and conventional care to patients.
“What I love so much about naturopathic medicine is that it can work safely and effectively in conjunction with conventional medicine. There is a role for both in quality health care. I want to understand your health concerns and goals and work toward them with you so that you feel your best! I have a general family practice and accept patients with many types of health concerns including helping to optimize digestive and hormonal health. I want to help you improve your health, quality of life, and wellbeing in a non-judgmental and supportive environment.”